Forum Japon

[ S'enregistrer ]   [ Rechercher ]    [ Liste des Membres ]    [ Groupes d'utilisateurs ]   [ FAQ ]  
[ Connexion ]   [ Mes messages privés ]   [ Profil ]
Le yokozuna Akebono se retire du Sumo et envisagerait de se lancer dans le K1 !

Recherche Rapide :

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    ForumJapon.com Index du Forum -> Sports
Voir le sujet précédent :: Voir le sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
Michael_Voyageur
Administrateur
Administrateur

Pays, Ville: Paris, France - Tokyo, Japan

MessagePosté le: 07 Nov 2003 20:23    Sujet du message: Le yokozuna Akebono se retire du Sumo et envisagerait de se lancer dans le K1 !

Ce message n'a pas encore été noté.
Répondre en citant

Le Yokozuna Akebono naturalisé japonais (ne a Hawai) a anoncé recemment son desir de se retirer du Sumo et envisagerait de se lancer dans le K-1 !!! Shocked

Source : Kyodo
Vu sur : Asia.News.Yahoo

Sumo: 1st foreign-born yokozuna quits sumo, eyeing K-1

Taro Akebono, the first foreign-born sumo grand champion, submitted a letter of resignation to the Japan Sumo Association on Wednesday, the association said Thursday.

The 34-year-old Hawaiian-born Akebono, whose American name is Chad Rowan, is planning to become a K-1 martial arts fighter, sources close to him said.

"I tried to persuade him to stay on. But I couldn't," his stablemaster Azumazeki said. "He did not say what he will do from now on, but said he has a big job to do."

K-1, which has become very popular in Japan over the last few years, is a combat sport combining elements of martial arts with kickboxing and wrestling.

Promoted to sumo's highest rank of yokozuna in January 1993, Akebono won 11 grand sumo titles before announcing his retirement in January 2001. Since then, Akebono has served as an instructor at the Azumazeki stable.

The 203-centimeter tall Akebono arrived at the stable, run by fellow Hawaiian expatriate Jesse Kuhaulua, in 1988 and rose quickly through the ranks with his thrusting and slapping style of sumo.

But he was plagued by injuries throughout the latter half of his career, some of them brought about by the strain of bearing 230-plus kilograms on his shaky knees.

Akebono took Japanese citizenship in 1996.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow
Learn as if you were to live forever...

Dernière édition par Michael_Voyageur le 09 Nov 2003 03:56; édité 1 fois
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer l'e-mail Visiter le site web du posteur Yahoo Messenger
ToMach
6eme Dan
6eme Dan

MessagePosté le: 08 Nov 2003 05:36    Sujet du message:

Répondre en citant

Il devrait affronter Bob Sapp le 31 decembre au gala "Dynamite".
Pourquoi pas Godzilla contre King Kong aussi? C'est tout simplement ridicule, le K-1 devient n'importe quoi ces derniers temps, un cirque, une vraie foire.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
nikola_GT77
Ceinture Marron
Ceinture Marron

Pays, Ville: Japon

MessagePosté le: 08 Nov 2003 07:16    Sujet du message:

Répondre en citant

ToMach, "le cirque, le foutoir", bien avant que Bob Sapp, Myke Tyson, ou Akebono se pointent, le K1 l'etait deja ! Laughing Laughing
Michael_Voyageur
Administrateur
Administrateur

Pays, Ville: Paris, France - Tokyo, Japan

MessagePosté le: 09 Nov 2003 03:53    Sujet du message: Histoire d'argent semble-t-il :(

Répondre en citant

Complement d'info : comme on pouvait s'en doutait, il s'agirait d'une histoire d'argent... Sad

Source : Daily Yomiuri

Money reason Akebono quit sumo world
Shuji Miki Yomiuri Shimbun Sportswriter

The career change of former yokozuna Akebono from the sumo world to K-1 fighting was apparently triggered by money issues.

Akebono, who has been using his ring name even after retirement in 2001 under a special rule for yokozuna, could not afford the vast sums needed to obtain "toshiyori-meiseki," or the right to stay with the Japan Sumo Association after retirement as a sumo elder.

Akebono was the first foreigner ever to reach sumo's highest rank. His experiences and efforts have been, and should have continued to be, a priceless asset--not only to himself, but also to the entire sumo world as it undergoes a period of internationalization.

But he placed his future in the K-1 world, giving up his place in the sumo world. If it really was money that brought an end to his experience and efforts, then it is a sad state of affairs.

Asked whether the situation would have been different if he had earned toshiyori-meiseki, the former sumo wrestler said: "It may have been different. It may have been the same."

As a general rule, sumo wrestlers change from a ring name to a retiree name, which can be obtained by succeeding a retiring master's name. Only those who earn a retiree name are allowed to run a sumo stable and become a stablemaster.

In Akebono's case, he is entitled to use his ring name for five years after retirement under a special rule for yokozuna. He remained in Azumazeki Stable as a trainer to support his master, Azumazeki (formerly Takamiyama).

In March 2002, Akebono told the stable's patrons he would succeed to run the stable and would take the name of his master, Azumazeki.

Timing could be difficult, however, as Azumazeki is scheduled to retire at the age of 65 in June 2009, while Akebono is entitled to use his ring name only until January 2006.

Even though there is the promise between the stablemaster and the successor, Akebono was supposed to use another master name to fill the three-year gap.

But, he could not afford a master's name, which would cost a wrestler 100 million yen to 200 million yen, a source close to the Azumazeki Stable said. Akebono does not have his own group of patrons to cover the cost.

The association allows retired wrestlers to "lease" a master name that is not taken at the moment, but that solution must have sounded too tenuous for the 34-year-old former wrestler, who has three children to support.

The announcement just days before the opening of the Kyushu Grand Sumo Tournament shows Akebono made his decision to change sports after K-1 offered him an attractive contract, reportedly totalling hundreds of millions of yen.

According to an Azumazeki Stable patron, about two years ago Akebono turned down an unofficial offer to purchase the master name Takasago, the name of the top stable to which the smaller Azumazeki stable is affiliated. The source quoted Akebono as saying: "If I succeed to the name Takasago, I would stand above my master. That's impossible. I can't accept the offer."

After that, the situation might have changed, and the Hawaii-born wrestler may have felt he could not afford to miss an opportunity.

"I still love sumo," said Akebono, who is often said to have "more Japanese spirit than Japanese wrestlers."

In the past, Akebono reportedly received offers from the non-sumo world, including the entertainment industry. He has told Azumazeki he would like to quit the sumo world three times, but on each occasion has been talked out of it by the stablemaster.

Azumazeki could not stop Akebono's fourth and final move. The stablemaster said, "I don't want to say it, but he betrayed me."

The sumo world has showed consistent weakness in human resource management. It has lost popular wrestlers: Konishiki, Wakanohana, and now Akebono.

Other former yokozunas who turned to other martial arts such as professional wrestling include Azumafuji, Wajima and Futahaguro.

Excerpts of Akebono's comments

The following exchange took place between reporters and Akebono on Thursday. (Akebono spoke in Japanese.)

Why did you decide to change your career to K-1?

Akebono: I retired as a sumo wrestler, but my fighting spirit has revived after talking to K-1 fighters. I couldn't give up my dream; that's why I decided to enter the ring again. My master seemed to want me to stay with the sumo association, but he said he wouldn't be able to stop me if I was sufficiently determined.

How are your knees?

I retired because of the injuries, not because I lost the will to win. The injuries will never be 100 percent better, but they're OK now. If I were not confident, I wouldn't be here. I'm not making this announcement on the spur of the moment. I'm going to practice hard and keep fighting until my body falls apart.

Have you given up the dream of raising younger wrestlers in the sumo world?

I hope they would learn something from my (K-1) fights.

Do you still feel attached to the sumo world?

I won't be in the sumo association any more, but I'd like to show my support in other ways.

How do you feel about your K-1 debut match against Bob Sapp?

I feel honored that I'll fight with such a superstar. I'll fight not with sumo rules, but K-1 rules.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow
Learn as if you were to live forever...
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer l'e-mail Visiter le site web du posteur Yahoo Messenger
DavMax
Banni

MessagePosté le: 09 Nov 2003 05:01    Sujet du message:

Répondre en citant

Bhen ce que je comprends pas, le K-1, c est censé etre du Full-Contact non?

Arff..
Je retourne visionner mes cassettes de Boxe made in thailand Rolling Eyes
Maitre K
Administrateur
Administrateur

Pays, Ville: Nishinomiya

MessagePosté le: 09 Nov 2003 10:34    Sujet du message:

Note du Post : 4   Nombre d'avis : 1
Répondre en citant

Je m'excuse, mais ceux qui dirigent le Sumo aujourd'hui sont vraiment des imbeciles ! Comment osent-ils demander de l'argent a un champion comme Akebono alors qu'un type comme ca c'est un promotion assuree et un gage de qualite pour l'avenir ??? Franchement, ils meritent bien leur perte de popularite et les vieux boucs qui dirigent tout ca feraient bien de se rendre compte qu'on est en 2003 !
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    ForumJapon.com Index du Forum -> Sports Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers: