Forum Japon

[ S'enregistrer ]   [ Rechercher ]    [ Liste des Membres ]    [ Groupes d'utilisateurs ]   [ FAQ ]  
[ Connexion ]   [ Mes messages privés ]   [ Profil ]
How's life in Japan ?

Recherche Rapide :

Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    ForumJapon.com Index du Forum -> Life in Japan
Voir le sujet précédent :: Voir le sujet suivant  
Auteur Message
cyankun
Ceinture Verte
Ceinture Verte

Pays, Ville: paris

MessagePosté le: 29 Mar 2008 10:19    Sujet du message: How's life in Japan ?

Ce message n'a pas encore été noté.
Répondre en citant

Hi,

I've always been interested in this country and its culture since my childhood.
I'd like to go there to live and work for a year or so but I don't really know when.
I've got a lot of questions in my mind about finding a job, the daily life,... so here I go:
- is it possible to get a job in IT with a WH knowing that I'm a junior (only 1 year experience abroad)?
- is it common to share a flat or a house ? how much is the rent for a single room in the city ?
- was it hard for you to meet/have japanese friends ?

Thanks for reading
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Moustik
Ceinture Verte
Ceinture Verte

Pays, Ville: Tokyo - Minowa

MessagePosté le: 07 Avr 2008 08:29    Sujet du message:

Note du Post : 3   Nombre d'avis : 1
Répondre en citant

Hi,

Life is pretty interesting here in Japan. as you might know it's completely different from western countries. The Japanese people is usually very kind and helpful, at least I did feel it this way. Some people may tell that the Japanese people is a little racist, but honestly I could not tell if the really are or just shy/scared.

Did you already visited Japan ? Living here in Japan is pretty comfortable, you can find what you want at any time and don't have to be scared to walk out late at night Wink

Regarding to your questions, I would say that it depends of your experience to find a job in the IT sector, but I know there a plenty jobs for those who work in IT. You can start working with a WH, but I think the company who you will work for prefer people that stay's more than 1 year. If you wish to stay more that 1 year you should ask the company to sponsor you for a working visa, this is only possible if you have a degree, the Japanese immigrations are quite difficult...

Share a flat or a house, yeah it is very possible, there are lots of guest houses in Tokyo. But the cost for the rent really depends of where in Tokyo you want or will live, it goes from cheap to reasonable to very expensive Confused

Meeting Japanese friends was not hard, just go to some bars, try to chat with them, at first they are pretty shy, but later on they can be really funny...but that is like everybody I guess. Anyway it is not more difficult than elsewhere Very Happy

I'm sure you will like Japan !!!
Michael_Voyageur
Administrateur
Administrateur

Pays, Ville: Paris, France - Tokyo, Japan

MessagePosté le: 08 Avr 2008 14:42    Sujet du message: A few answers

Note du Post : 3.5   Nombre d'avis : 2
Répondre en citant

Life is very interesting in Japan, even though there are a few challenges, at the end of the day I would warmly encourage anyone who wants to try the experience of living here at least for while to discover a bit of this unique culture. To answer your questions briefly :

Arrow - is it possible to get a job in IT with a WH knowing that I'm a junior (only 1 year experience abroad)?
Sure it's possible, but I would recommend to find beforehand good contacts of companies/placement agencies interested in your profile.
The challenge here is that most companies recruit in Japan candidates who speak of course the national language and don't have any VISA restriction. The problem with the WH visa is that it is for one year only and not possible to extend or renew so that the companies who take young engineers in WH are only offering simple, not greatly paid, short term missions (only a few months). Please have a look to this article which sums up quite correctly the situation and first steps to make it work:
Getting an IT job in Japan
http://www.gaijinpot.com/c_it.php

Arrow - is it common to share a flat or a house ? how much is the rent for a single room in the city ?
The rents range in Tokyo is unbelievebly huge, it is tough but not impossible to find ultra-cheap weird rooms in old buildings with no kitchen nor washroom, only 2 tatami mats where you can sleep (for around 20 000 yen, yes I saw it), to high class furnished flats into high standing areas where rents can easily soar to over 200 000 or 300 000 yen, and that's only the rent for a regular 1 room studio... just imagine rents of really big/high end flats or houses well located, that will give you an idea of what's "insanely expensive". The average for a 1 room small flat with kitchen and wash-room would be around 120 000yen/month. I have posted some time ago the list of "one room" rents averages by districts here :
http://www.forumjapon.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2130&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10
Otherwise, it's not very common for Japanese people to share a flat or a house, but it is a new trend which is slowly growing amoung younger genereation, you can find a few websites posting classifieds to find roommates, for example those ones:
http://www.tokyoroomfinder.com/
http://tokyo.kijiji.co.jp/f-Housing-rooms-shared-W0QQlangZenQQCatIdZ400054
http://www.gaijinpot.com/classifieds/?search_area=all&search_category=15

Arrow - was it hard for you to meet/have japanese friends ?
It's not too difficult to find people to hang out with, there are many areas in Tokyo where it's not uncommon to greet and talk to people arround hanging together, you could start with pubs, where people enjoy music (music bars) or watching sports etc... There are multiple ways to find friends or at least japanese people who would really love to meet and chat with foreigner people in English. Practicing some sports or activities here will make you meet many people. Also an easy way to socialize is through internet networks such as Mixi (//mixi.jp) or the like (there are many).
The real problem is actually the reverse problem : you can meet so many people who only wanna practice their English with a foreign dude that it can get really annoying, and tough to find someone who just appreciates to be with you, for yourself, not only because you're a good (or affordable?) English language practice partner. That's the real challenge!
I know a few american guys who pretend to be French or from some other even less known countries, only to avoid having to chat in English with those "wanna-be-friend-with-the-English-teacher", and it works in general... except if he/she can speak also a few words of French... Rolling Eyes

Live as if you were to die tomorrow
Learn as if you were to live forever...
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer l'e-mail Visiter le site web du posteur Yahoo Messenger
Oppappi
Ceinture Marron
Ceinture Marron

MessagePosté le: 07 Aoû 2008 15:14    Sujet du message:

Répondre en citant

I also found this really great english speaking forum about Japan on the net, i'm sure it will help you find a lot of answers to your questions and it will also give you a clear image about : How is the life in japan for a foreigner?

http://www.japanforum.com/forum/living-japan/

Have fun Wink
remibagot
Ceinture Blanche
Ceinture Blanche

MessagePosté le: 12 Aoû 2008 10:42    Sujet du message:

Répondre en citant

Life in Japan is just so completely different than in Europe or America. Every day you will find out about new things and learn new things. I have only lived in Japan for a few months when studying there, but I long to go back there some day.
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet    ForumJapon.com Index du Forum -> Life in Japan Toutes les heures sont au format GMT + 1 Heure
Page 1 sur 1

Sauter vers: